Policy issues that the Bureau of Near Eastern Affairs deals with include:
- Expanding security cooperation and increasing new opportunities for trade and investment, educational and cultural exchanges, and progress on human rights.
- Maintaining pressure on Iran until it behaves more like a normal government again, including by ending its destabilizing behavior throughout the region, its missile program, and its support for terrorism.
- Resolving the Israel – Palestinian conflict based on the President’s Vision for Peace and supporting the Abraham Accords agreements to normalize relations between Israel and Arab or Muslim-majority countries.
- Working with the UN and international partners towards a lasting political and peaceful resolution to the Syrian conflict in line with UNSCR 2254.
- Engaging with our Iraqi partners and the Iraqi people to support a united, democratic, and prosperous country capable of protecting itself from internal and external threats to its sovereignty.
- Supporting the UN-facilitated process to reach an inclusive, negotiated, political solution to the Libyan and Yemen conflicts.